Days of Palestine

The Occupation Postpones Trial of Prisoner Al-Saadi to Next Wednesday


The Israeli Military Court renewed on Sunday, August 28, 2022, the detention of the prisoner Bassam Al-Saadi, the leader in the PIJ from the Jenin refugee camp, until Wednesday, August 31st.

The Prisoner’s Club issued a statement saying, that the Israeli Ofer Military Court postponed its decision regarding the detainee until August 31.

Last Thursday, the Israeli occupation authorities filed an indictment against Al-Saadi. In a press statement The Prisoner’s Club made after the decision, Ahlam Haddad, the lawyer for the captive al-Saadi, stated that “the Ofer Prison Court today charged al-Saadi with incitement through the media in addition to other charges.”

Despite the allegations that the occupation had attributed to Al-Saadi after his arrest, which led to an escalation of the aggression of the occupation on the Gaza Strip that lasted for three days and resulted in the death of 49 Palestinians, including 17 children, and the injury of hundreds, it is known that the indictment that the Israeli occupation intends to submit against Al-Saadi includes allegations of less serious charges.

According to Haaretz newspaper, the indictment against Saadi may include allegations of “affiliation and activity within a prohibited organization” as well as allegations of “incitement to terrorism and support for terrorism” during press interviews and Facebook posts, not the first inflated allegations made by the occupation against him.

In early August, the Israeli occupation army arrested Al-Saadi, 61, during a large-scale incursion into Jenin refugee camp, in the northern occupied West Bank.

Al-Saadi’s name was mentioned as part of the ceasefire understandings in Gaza that was announced by an “Egyptian invitation” to the parties, in an official statement issued on the evening of Sunday, August 7, ending 3 days of fighting between the occupation army and the “Islamic Jihad” movement.

At that time, Islamic Jihad spokesman Daoud Shehab revealed that the agreement with Israel on a ceasefire was brokered by Egypt after “Cairo promised to work for the release of the two prisoners, Khalil Awawda and Bassam Al-Saadi.”

The Egyptian statement, through which the ceasefire was announced, indicated that “Egypt is making efforts and is committed to working to release the prisoner Khalil Al-Awawda and transfer him to treatment, as well as working to release the prisoner, Bassam Al-Saadi, as soon as possible.”

All promises are still unrealized as Awawdeh is still on a life-threatening hunger strike for over 160 days and Al-Saadi is on the verge of a serious indictment.