The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPC) said Wednesday, March 8, that the Israeli occupation continues to hold 29 Palestinian female detainees in Damon Prison, the most senior of whom is the detainee, Maysoon Musa, from Bethlehem, who has been detained since 2015.
The society stated, in a statement issued on the occasion of International Women’s Day, that there are two girls among Palestinian female detainees, who are Nofouth Hammad from Jerusalem, and Zamzam Al-Qawasmeh from Hebron, who turned 18 a few days ago.
It pointed out that the Israeli occupation has escalated its crimes and violations against Palestinian women since the beginning of the past year. The occupation used the crime of collective punishment mainly against the mothers of martyrs and detainees and their wives.
It stressed that the occupation is still using all methods of abuse and torture against female prisoners.
The Prisoner’s society indicated that female detainees face difficult living conditions in “Damon” prison, including the presence of cameras in the prison yard, high humidity in the rooms in winter, and the female detainees being forced to use blankets to close the bathrooms. The Israeli prison administration deliberately cuts off the electricity supplied to them.
The Israeli occupation continues to practice a policy of medical negligence against them, especially the injured, such as the detainee Israa Jaabis, who suffers from severe deformities in her body, as a result of severe burns that affected 60% of her body. This was due to the occupation soldiers shooting at her car in 2015, which caused the explosion of a gas cylinder in her car. Though, the Israeli occupation issued a sentence of 11 years in prison against her.
The detainee Jaabis needs a series of surgeries on her hands, ears, and face, as she suffers over time from pain and constant heat in her skin, which makes her unable to wear clothes and blankets. She is in dire need of a special suit to treat her burns, but the prison administration refuses to provide it and does not at least provide her with the minimum necessary health conditions. Jaabis has lost 8 fingers on her hands.
The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society presents the most important information about the Palestinian female detainees who are currently in the Israeli Damoon prison, as below:
- There are 29 female detainees in Israeli prisons.
- The number of convicted detainees is 15.
- The number of sick female detainees is 15.
- The oldest female detainee in the occupation prisons is Maysoon Mousa, from Bethlehem, who has been detained since 2015 and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
- The highest sentences were issued against the female detainees Shurouk Dwait and Shatila Abu Eyada, who were sentenced to 16 years in prison, Maysoon Musa to 15 years, and Aisha Al-Afghani to 13 years.
- There is an administrative female detainee who is Raghad Al-Fanni from Tulkarm.
- There are 7 injured female detainees.
- The most difficult case is the wounded detainee, Israa Jaabis
- There are 6 mothers in Israeli prisons, who are Israa Jaabis, Fadwa Hamada, Amani Al-Hashim, Yasmin Shaaban, Etaf Jaradat, and
- Lina Abu Ghulamy.
- The majority of female detainees with high sentences are from Jerusalem.
- The Israeli occupation forces have carried out 193 arrests of Palestinian women and girls since 2022.
- The occupation forces have detained 1,300 women and girls since 2015.
- IOF has detained more than 17,000 Palestinian women since 1967.