Days of Palestine, West Bank -Palestinian journalist Mohamed al-Qeeq, who went on hunger-strike for 94 days, ended his strike on Friday and scheduled to be released on May 21st.
High Commission of Hamas Prisoners inside Israeli jails (HCHP) announced the news, noting it had reached a deal with the Israeli Prison Services (IPS).
In a statement, the HCHP said that the Israeli occupation agreed to released Al-Qeeq on May 21st in return of immediately ending his hunger-strike.
The statement added: “The Israeli occupation undertakes not to renew the administrative detention against Al-Qeeq.” In order to guarantee this, the statement said, Al-Qeeq would remain among Palestinian prisoners in the Israeli prison of Nafha.
According to the statement, Al-Qeeq’s health condition is very critical; therefore, the HCHP agreed to leave him complete his treatment in the Israeli hospital, where he is now, but “he must be treated by Palestinian doctors working there.”
Mohamed Al-Qeeq, a Palestinian journalist works for the Saudi TV network Al-Majd. He was arrested on November 21 at his home in the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah.
He was then put on administrative detention, which means he could be held for up to 60 days without charge and without viewing evidence against him. His detention can then be extended with court approval to renewables periods of six months.
Last week, the United Nations, EU and rights groups expressed concern about Al-Qeeq, who refused any food or medical treatment, and denounced administrative detention.
“Al-Qeeq has a right to know what are the charges against him and to go before a judge. Otherwise, he must be released immediately,” said Amnesty International.