The US decided to cut $65 million in aid to Palestinian refugees, America’s State Department announced Tuesday, two weeks after President Donald Trump's criticism about the funding.
America will still transfer $60 million of what was originally a $125 million tranche of funding to the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) while withholding the remaining $65 million, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said.
She said additional US funding will depend on "some revisions" being made at the agency, which provides healthcare and social services to Palestinian refugees in the West Bank, Gaza, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.
US President Donald Trump previously threatened to cut aid to the Palestinians, including to UNRWA, in response to Palestinian fury over his decision last month to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
UNRWA, which has been helping over 5 million Palestinian refugees displaced by Zionist Jewish gangs, backed by the US, UK and other Western powers, in 1948, is being accused of backing Palestinian militants and being biased against Israel by some Israeli officials.
This move, monitors said, is aimed at putting pressure on the UNRWA to adopt Israeli narrative regarding the conflict with the Palestinians –that there had been nothing called Palestinian and Palestinians.
It is worth mentioning that the US pays $3.8bn in aid to the Israeli occupation state despite its daily violence against the Palestinian people.