Luxembourg expressed Monday, June 19, its concern about the Israeli announcement of building new settlement units in the occupied Palestinian territories.
Luxembourg’s Foreign Ministry said in a tweet on Twitter that Minister Jean Asselborn “shares a deep concern about the massive expansion of illegal settlements and the expedited settlement-building process in the Occupied Palestinian Territory”.”
It called on the Israeli occupation to rescind this measure which further undermines any two-state solution.
As well, Matthew Miller, the Spokesperson for the U.S. Department of State announced, “The U.S. is deeply troubled by the Israeli government’s announcement of plans to advance over 4,000 new settlement units in the West Bank and the changes to its planning system that may expedite approvals.”
“Settlement expansion is an obstacle to peace,” he said.
Last week, Israeli occupation informed the US administration of its intention to announce the approval of building at least 4,000 illegal settlement units across the occupied West Bank.
The new far-right Israeli government coalition is pushing ahead with plans to establish and expand settlement units on Palestinian lands across the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem.
Over 650,000 Israeli settlers live currently in 164 illegal settlements and 124 outposts built on the stolen Palestinian lands of the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem.