Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged on Wednesday to invest NIS800m ($228 million) in illegal Jewish settlement in occupied West Bank.
Netanyahu and his Chief of Staff Yoav Horowitz told the chairman of the settlement council in the occupied West Bank Avi Roeh that plan would go into effect at the start of the 2018 fiscal year.
In a letter updating settler leaders on his meeting with the prime minister, Roeh said: “After a long period of intensive work with various government ministries, we got these funds.”
Last week, the Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Liberman announced a plan to roll out a security package for West Bank settlers next month worth NIS3.3bn ($939m).
The package is expected to address many of the demands raised by the settlers protesting outside Netanyahu’s Residence. However, it will only be implemented in 2019.
Liberman emphasised that such infrastructure improvements take time. Speaking to reporters Thursday at the construction grounds of the new Amichai settlement for Amona evacuees, the he insisted his office was working to gather the money for the settlement security project.
“These things do not happen overnight, but this security package is the first all-inclusive one that will address a broad range of needs for residents in Judea and Samaria,” he said.