The Secretary-General of the United Nations, António Guterres, will not back down from his condemnation of the “deadliest” Israeli raids on the occupied West Bank city of Jenin, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday, July 11, 2023.
His stance came in response to the call of the Israeli occupation’s UN Ambassador, Gilad Erdan, last week, to retract his condemnation of the occupation’s “excessive” use of force against Palestinians.
“It is not the first time in history, especially in recent history, that the Secretary-General of the United Nations made a statement that was met with some member states’ demands that he retract it, but he did not do so,” said the spokesman for the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Stephane Dujarric.
“Guterres is just stating what he thinks,” Dujarric said.
On July 7, Guterres strongly condemned “Israeli violence” and the Israeli occupation’s excessive use of force in its largest operation in two decades against the Jenin refugee camp in the occupied West Bank.
“I strongly condemn all acts of violence against civilians,” he said.
On July 3, the Israeli occupation launched a military operation on Jenin City and Camp, as over 1200 Israeli soldiers participated in it, killing at least 12 Palestinians, including five children, and injuring over 100 others, including 20 critical injuries.
The attacks forced thousands of Palestinians to flee and damaged infrastructure, houses, and apartment buildings.
More than 4,000 Palestinian citizens reportedly fled the Jenin Refugee Camp overnight on Monday and Tuesday after the deadly Israeli air strikes on the camp.