An Israeli occupation soldier who shot to death a Palestinian fisherman near the Gaza frontier in 2018 has been given 45 days of community service after an army investigation concluded he fired without authorization, the military said Thursday.
The occupation military said a group of Palestinians had approached the separated fence but were far away when the paratrooper opened fire, striking one of them. Its statement did not identify the soldier or the Palestinian or say whether he was killed.
Nawaf al-Attar, a 23-year-old fisherman was shot to death by Israeli occupation troops near the northern beach border on Nov. 14, 2018, when the occupation military said the shooting occurred.
It happened a few hours after a ceasefire took effect after a brief round of fighting between Israeli occupation and Palestinians. The area near the fence had seen weekly protests at the time, but there were no demonstrations that day.
The occupation military said the soldier reached a plea bargain in which he pleaded guilty to negligence and reckless endangerment. He received a suspended sentence and was demoted to the rank of private.
Gaza has been under an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since 2007. Since then, Resisitance groups have fought three wars and engaged in numerous smaller battles with Israel.
Rights groups have accused Israel of using excessive force and failing to adequately investigate the killing of civilians. Israeli occupation says it makes every effort to avoid civilian casualties and accuses Palestinians of using civilians as human shields.
“Enforcing a military occupation on millions of people for decades requires exorbitant violence and impunity for the soldiers who sustain it,” the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem said in a statement.
“Forty-five days of community service for killing a man is but the latest example of how the military law enforcement system is designed to protect perpetrators, not their victims.”
An Associated Press investigation last year found that the military had opened investigations into 24 potentially criminal shootings of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Gaza over the previous year. None of the cases at that time had yielded convictions or even indictments, and in most cases the army had not interviewed key witnesses or retrieved evidence from the field.
The Palestinian Authority has asked the International Criminal Court to probe alleged Israeli war crimes, including violence in Gaza. Israel has sought to rally the international community against any investigation, claiming the Palestinians lack legal standing and that its own courts investigate and punish any misconduct.
Israel does not recognize the ICC, but charges could put Israeli officials at risk of arrest in other countries.