Akhras continues his battle of freedom for 82nd day

Days of Palestine - Ramallah

Prisoner Maher Al-Akhras, 49, from Jenin continues his open hunger strike Friday refusing his administrative detention for the 82nd consecutive day amid fears that he will die at any moment.

More than 30 prisoners in Ofer prison began an open hunger strike to support Akhras. As a result, the Israeli prison administration placed three prisoners in isolation and transferred them to Shatta prison.

Read More: International Workers’ Day: Israel continues to abuse Palestinian workers’ rights

Palestinian human rights organizations and political parties warned that Akhras would die at any moment because he entered the stage of extreme danger.

Akhras said, “I am committed to my decision and will eat food only in my home, and I will not break my will. I am now in the Kaplan Israeli Hospital, I do not drink anything but water, and I will continue doing so until I return to my house.”

Read More: Freedom of Palestinian Prisoner After 18 Year Incarceration in Israeli Prison

On the 12th of October 2020, the Israeli court had rejected again the request for his immediate release submitted by his lawyer. The court submitted a proposal that indicates the possibility of continuing his administrative detention and renewing it and conditional on stopping his strike. Akhras rejected this proposal and declared that he will continue his battle until his freedom.

The Palestinian Information Center had an interview with Akhras’s wife Taghreed, and she appealed to all the free people of the world to intervene and demand the release of her husband due to the severity of his health condition.

Taghreed confirmed that the doctors told her that there is a real danger on her husband's life, pointing to the fact that he insists on continuing his strike until either freedom or martyrdom.

She said, “Two weeks ago, my husband's health condition gravely deteriorated and the doctors warned of his death at any moment.”

Akhras’s wife, who is next to him in the Israeli Kaplan Hospital, called on human rights institutions and the Palestinian factions to support her husband and secure his release.

The prisoner suffers from severe head and stomach pain, high pressure in the eyes, cloudy vision, and ringing in the ears. He also suffers from pressure in the chest area and he is unable to move.

Akhras’s wife confirmed that he feels severe pains in the chest, eyes, head and stomach, and he is physically unable to support himself.

Akhras was born in August 1971, in Silat al-Dhahr town in Jenin, and he is a father of six children, the youngest of whom is a 6-year-old girl and before his arrest he worked in agriculture.

Akhras was subjected to repeated arrests that began in 1989, and his detention continued for seven months. The second time was in 2004 for two years then he was re-arrested in 2009 and remained in administrative detention for 16 months. He was arrested again in 2018 and was held in custody for 11 months, until his last arrest.

On 27/07/ 2020, he was arrested again and the occupation authorities ordered his administrative detention for four months. The Israeli court tried to circumvent his strike by resorting to what it calls a freeze on administrative detention, which does not mean the end of his detention.

Since the beginning of the strike, Akhras has been subjected to repeated transfers as an attempt to exhaust him and discourage him from continuing his strike. At the beginning of his detention he was held in the Hawara detention center then he was transferred to Ofer prison until he was transferred to the Ramla Clinic prison and finally to the Kaplan hospital.

Your support helps protect the Days of Palestine’s independence and it means we can keep delivering quality journalism that’s open for everyone around the world. Every contribution, however big or small, is so valuable for our future.